Book A Room
The Milbank Arms is an historic institution, operating as a pub since at least 1690 and first licensed in 1774
“In the 18th century everybody drank and few drank moderately. The habit was common to all, rich and poor alike, and no doubt the folk of Barningham and Newsham thoroughly enjoyed a drink when occasion demanded.”Extract from ‘As Time Passed By – A History of Barningham’, by J. Merryne Watson.
Nobody knows for certain how long there has been an inn on the site of today’s Milbank Arms, but a clue to its age may be the fact that it was once called The Royal Oak, a name given to hundreds of inns in the late 17th and early 18th centuries to commemorate the escapades of Charles II and the restoration of the monarchy in 1660.
Mark Milbanke, a Merchant Adventurer, Sheriff of Newcastle in 1638 and Mayor of Newcastle in 1658 and 1672, provided much financial assistance to the exiled Charles II, and on his restoration the king offered him a baronetcy which he declined in favour of his son Mark, who was created a baronet in 1661. In 1679 he was appointed sheriff of Northumberland and in 1689 his son Acclom purchased Barningham Estate. We assume that the inn was named The Royal Oak around this time.
There were several inns operating in Barningham throughout the 18th century. The earliest licences we know of date from 1774, when no fewer than four innkeepers were recorded in Barningham. By 1778 the number had fallen to three: The Royal Oak, The Boot and Shoe (closed around 1800 and now The Hollies) and The Black Horse (closed in 1916 and now Elim Cottage). The Royal Oak changed its name to The Milbank Hotel in 1863 and to The Milbank Arms in 1910.
|Period owned||Pub name||Publican|
|c.1690 – 1772||The Royal Oak||inc. Thomas Bowman (?)|
|1774 – 1820||The Royal Oak||Joseph Bowman|
|1820 – 1836||The Royal Oak||Elizabeth Bowman|
|1836 – 184?||The Royal Oak||Robert and Ann Spenceley|
|184? – 185?||The Royal Oak||Ralph and Ann Goundry|
|185? – 1902||The Milbank Hotel (1863)||Ralph Hixon Goldsbrough|
|1902 – 1910||The Milbank Hotel||Alice Goldsbrough|
|1910 – 1939||The Milbank Arms||Robert Henry Dobson|
|1939 – 1987||The Milbank Arms||Sam and Hannah Turner|
|1987 – 2018||The Milbank Arms||Neil Turner|